Meal Worm Vs Super Worm

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

MikePH

Meal Worm Vs Super Worm

Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:26 am

I don't have both meal and super worm I Just wan't to know which one is great for my solenopsis.I'm going to the nearest reptile store maybe next week i just wan't to know which is better and easy to take care.

:D :D :D :o :o :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :evil: :twisted: :lol: :oops: :shock: :o :ugeek: :geek: :mrgreen: :| :arrow: :evil: :idea: :idea: :lol: :?: :?: :?: :D :D :D :) :) :)

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Re: Meal Worm Vs Super Worm

Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:28 am

My Solenopsis geminata used to get a better meal out of superworms.
Ant Love Forever.

MikePH

Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:32 am

Thank you for clearing up my mind.

Now to do that home work.
:lol:

Gregory2455

Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:37 am

I actually got lesser mealworms for my cultures instead of either normal mealworms or superworms. This is mainly my own choice, so that I can give them to the ants live and in one piece, and give as many as needed. I also do not know for sure, but I think they reproduce a lot quicker too (and obviously require less space for the same yield as they are smaller). I will update my thoughts on them once they actually arrive and I get some experience handling them.

catsandants

Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:55 am

I would suggest the lesser meal worm. It is smaller so it can be fed live and is less hassle. Also the lesser mealworm has higher muscle content to size. Overall the lesser mealworm is your best bet. Other types have more non muscle tissue and so are less protein dense.
Ants are the best and they is cute

AM1C39

Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:04 am

Sure, but you should never live feed its cruel and can harm the ants. just kill them by cutting them in half or putting them in the freezer for 20 minutes.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

RuinedDrone

Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:12 am

Cutting a worm in half is cruel and does not kill an insect! Insects don't have blood systems or a central nervous system like us. An insect cut in half can live hours.

they don't die till the cells run out of nutrients or dry out (most are so small fluids don't flow out due to capillary action).

So cutting on in half if the ants chose not to eat it for a bit it will live on in two halves. In Fact for venomous ant species its possible more humane to feed live insects.

only crashing, freezing or boiling are sure quick ways to kill an insect.

And this is ignoring that even the most adamant supporters that insects might be conscious still say.

"there are many types of awareness insects may have, but many they probably do not, like the ability to feel pain. “Insects may have subjective experience,” he says, “but not of a kind that has a lot of ethical consequences.”