Raw honey, bad for ants?

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

PwnerPie

Raw honey, bad for ants?

Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:41 am

Hi all, found something strange that happened when feeding a formica colony raw honey, the atleast 1 worker died within 2 days after putting raw honey in (out of 4, so big impact). It is the first time I have had a worker die, and none have died since I stopped putting raw honey in. It is organic raw honey, so no pesticides.The ants looked fine before discovering them dead, definitely not a sickness.

One thought, could it be too sticky? Do they need access to an actual water source? I ask this because I noticed the queen pulling at the water cotton and actively drinking the days after putting the raw honey in. I have not seen it since I started using regular honey (still organic) again.

What would cause this? Has anyone had a similar experience? I thought raw would be better for them. =(
Keeper of:
Formica Sp
Myrmica Sp

Founding:
4x Formica Sp
1x Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Co-God of the above ants with CherrieEvolved

Cartil

Re: Raw honey, bad for ants?

Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:38 pm

I see you're asking whether they need access to a water source. Are your ants in a test tube with water and a piece of cotton?

When you give them honey, try to give them a few tiny drops (smaller than them) rather than a large one, otherwise they could either drown or get covered by it and die (imagine yourself falling in a lake of honey and having no way to clean yourself properly). If you would rather, mix sugar with water and give them a few drops of that instead. It works too!

PwnerPie

Re: Raw honey, bad for ants?

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:59 am

Do are in a regular test tube setup with water, and they are small drops, they are not drowning. They ate some and died within a couple days.

Ever since not giving them any more raw honey, no more have died. They have regular organic honey and eat it fine.
Never giving ants raw honey again, just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with raw honey! May need to send out a PSA if that is the case so more ants dont needlessly die! =(
Keeper of:
Formica Sp
Myrmica Sp

Founding:
4x Formica Sp
1x Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Co-God of the above ants with CherrieEvolved