Black Soldier Fly Larvae as protein source

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Johnfer

Black Soldier Fly Larvae as protein source

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:53 am

Hello everyone,

I bought some BSF (black soldier fly) larvae (Hermetia illucens) by mistake thinking it was mealworm (beginner mistake), and I was wondering if I can give them to my ants.
According to Wikipedia they have a high amount of protein and they really look like (sort of) mealworms.

Has anybody tried this?

Thanks for the help

MaxGen

Re: Black Soldier Fly Larvae as protein source

Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:27 pm

I think they would be fine. They are also very high in calcium. An excellent feeder for reptiles. I'm sure ants will appreciate both the larva, and the adult fly.

Phoenix

Re: Inquiry

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:19 pm

They'll Probably Accept It.
'Have Fun.' - Gabe Newell

Johnfer

Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:17 pm

Thank you for the help!

I offered some pieces of a frozen larvae and the ants did not accept, but I think it is because the colony is very young (~20 workers).
Once the larvae is in ambient temperature, it darkens very very fast. After 15 minutes it is completely black and after 1 hour it starts to shrink and melt, very weird. I don't know if it is completely rotten or still good. Any toughs?

Johnfer

Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:06 pm

Just an update:

I tried offering some larvae again, but instead of giving them right away I boiled the larvae for a few minutes.
Using this technique, it took a lot more to start turning black and I saw some ants feeding on it.
So, for someone facing the same problems, an advice is to boil the larvae before. Interesting to note that its insides still remain liquid/soft.