Queens wont accept sugar

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Yestordsd287

Queens wont accept sugar

Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:53 pm

So I have a couple colonies and many semi claustral queens. I try to feed them sugar once every week, but they don’t seem to accept any of the honey I give them. In fact, my trap jaws cover the honey in sand so the sand absorbs the honey. This is worrying me and if anyone knows how I could provide my colonies with sugar I would really love a quick answer.

idahoantgirl

Re: Queens wont accept sugar

Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:22 pm

Yestordsd287 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:53 pm
So I have a couple colonies and many semi claustral queens. I try to feed them sugar once every week, but they don’t seem to accept any of the honey I give them. In fact, my trap jaws cover the honey in sand so the sand absorbs the honey. This is worrying me and if anyone knows how I could provide my colonies with sugar I would really love a quick answer.
If they want it, they will drink it. They are programmed to survive. They arent going to just "not know " how to drink sugar water. Maybe try thinning out the honey with water so its easier to drink.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Phoenix

Re: Inquiry

Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:10 am

Use Fruit Slices, Or Cotton Balls Soaked In Sugary Goods - Always Worked For My Odontomachus Queens.
'Have Fun.' - Gabe Newell