semi claustral

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Fernando

semi claustral

Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:05 pm

ive just caught a pachycondyla queen wondering on my backyard, i will never know if whe was hunting or searching a place to make her nest, ive fed her a piece of cockroach i caught on my backyard (thoose kinda of earth cockroaches that live under rocks, not thoose trash one). how often should i give her cockroaches??

idahoantgirl

Re: semi claustral

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:55 pm

Fernando wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:05 pm
ive just caught a pachycondyla queen wondering on my backyard, i will never know if whe was hunting or searching a place to make her nest, ive fed her a piece of cockroach i caught on my backyard (thoose kinda of earth cockroaches that live under rocks, not thoose trash one). how often should i give her cockroaches??
Be careful with feeding bugs from outdoors! They could have pesticides on them that can be fatal to your colony. As far as amount, You can't "overfeed" a colony to the point where they get sick or anything like that. So I would say provide a small piece of bug for her and once it dries out give her a different piece. Also dont forget she needs sugar as well as protein
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

shaky33

Re: semi claustral

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:24 am

In my experiences with semi-claustral queens, a constant sugar source is always needed. Whether its honey or sugar water or whatever you choose. Until your queen's brood becomes larvae you don't really need to feed her protein. But as soon as those larvae come that protein is necessary for their growth.

I find it easiest just to wait until the queen starts to forage, that's a pretty clear indication that she needs food. If the sugar is already provided it's evident that she needs protein. Though I would make sure the cockroach is small enough for her to drag back to her larvae and of course make sure that it's pesticide free!
- Rhytidoponera metallica
- Camponotus consobrinus x2
- **** sp.
- Nylanderia sp.
- Melaphorus sp.
- Camponotus cairns
- Crematogaster sp.
- Colobopsis sp.
- Myrmecia nigrocinta
- Iridomyrmex purpureus
- Camponotus eastwoodi