Killing Feeders

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

hiitsmeiambored

Killing Feeders

Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:10 am

I'm debating keeping mealworms when my lasius niger queen has workers and can be moved into her permanant home and want to know what the best way to kill them is. Would freezing or boiling work and if so how would you freeze/boil them. Thanks

idahoantgirl

Re: Killing Feeders

Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:26 pm

hiitsmeiambored wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:10 am
I'm debating keeping mealworms when my lasius niger queen has workers and can be moved into her permanant home and want to know what the best way to kill them is. Would freezing or boiling work and if so how would you freeze/boil them. Thanks
I buy a pack of mealworms, and keep them in the freezer (zip lock baggies or mason jars) Then when my colony is hungry its easy to take one out, chop it up, and stick it in the outworld
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

shaky33

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:38 am

Mealworms are like the easiest protein source i've found. Keep them in the fridge, they are slow moving, and easy to chop up (also full of protein :lol: ). If you don't have the guts to just slice them up I would recommend freezing them. Leave them in a freezer (preferably in a testtube) for a couple mins, then cut them up. Boiling them can lead to less nutrients being consumed.
- Rhytidoponera metallica
- Camponotus consobrinus x2
- **** sp.
- Nylanderia sp.
- Melaphorus sp.
- Camponotus cairns
- Crematogaster sp.
- Colobopsis sp.
- Myrmecia nigrocinta
- Iridomyrmex purpureus
- Camponotus eastwoodi

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:32 am

I use super worms, large roaches, and crickets as protein for my ants. I have no issue with simply taking one and ripping it in half and placing it into the out world. For those that would yes freezing them then taking a knife or pair of scissors and cutting them up would be the best practice. Crickets are easily found due to them being used as fishing bait and also feeders for lizards, spiders, and can be found at most pet stores that have those pets.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted: