Use Distilled or Reverse Osmosis Water?

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Rovvov99

Re: Use Distilled or Reverse Osmosis Water?

Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:49 am

Dilbry wrote:In attempt to cut down on contaminants, I thought it might be a good idea to serve my new Queen and her few workers distilled water instead of tap water. Also, I use it to humidify the formicarium. Does anyone else do this? Are there any known positives or negatives to using distilled or Reverse Osmosis water in formicariums?

This is my first post in ACAF. I tried searching the forums for information on this, but found none. If I should post this elsewhere or the answer is available in another topic, please notify me. Thank you.
That really doesn't matter so much, as long as it's water the ants will be happy.
Oh and welcome to the forum !

larynx

Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:57 am

R/O water wont leave hard water stains on your acrylic or glass.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Rovvov99

Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:55 am

larynx wrote:R/O water wont leave hard water stains on your acrylic or glass.
That's true, but for a testtube setup it doesn't matter.

larynx

Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:22 pm

Rovvov99 wrote:
larynx wrote:R/O water wont leave hard water stains on your acrylic or glass.
That's true, but for a testtube setup it doesn't matter.
does for mine. i had a few with hard water stains, and i couldnt see them very well after the water suctioned back. it was very hard to remove if left to dry as well.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

larynx

Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:25 pm

Dilbry wrote:I have not attempted to find literature or articles on "average" tap water and its propensity to mold over time. This is probably only of interest when moistened cotton balls or sponges are used and reused and in moist soil/sand environments.
you can ask me. i have many years experience with filtering, purifying and adjusting salt and fresh water content for aquarium stores and private owners.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:05 pm

As far as harmful to the ants? Naw, nothing beats good ol rain water but if you think about it, we drink the tap water, we give it to our dog's cat's other pets, out kids, of course we adjust it but we use it to fill out fish tanks, we water our plants with it etc.......

As far as hard water and stains, it really depends on where you live and how they treat the water. if your really worried about it go to your local Walmart (not sure what the equivalent would be over seas) and by some thing like a britta water filter attachment for your sink or a britta water pitcher that has the replaceable filter built in.

As far as mold on cotton and other things that are soaked that's because you contaminated the material in one way or another. If you want make sure you use gloves when handling the cotton and avoid placing it on a surface that might be unclean. You have no clue the amount of stuff that settles on a flat surface in a few minutes even if you think it's clean.

Clean your test tubes and then wipe them out with isopropyl alcohol. let dry upside down and then cap them until your ready to use them. that one way (I do that) to make sure your tubes stay clean until you need them. Don't place them in a dish washer and use the dish washer detergent that you use to clean your dishes, many of those have a lot of additives including bleach and such that might be left behind when they dry.

Ok enough ramblings form me. :)
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

larynx

Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:47 pm

Dilbry wrote:
larynx wrote:
Dilbry wrote:you can ask me. i have many years experience with filtering, purifying and adjusting salt and fresh water content for aquarium stores and private owners.
My setup:
I'm using the large omninest (acrylic) which has a queen Lasius sp. confined to a single cell with access to the basin. I'm using the cotton balls to confine her and the few workers to the cell. I'm using the closest sponge for humidity and in the basin is a test tube with water stopped with cotton.

My reasoning for using distilled water:
I'm inclined to use distilled water with the sponge in attempt to reduce the possibility of mold and increase the sponge's (unknown material) lifespan. I think your point about hard water deposits has merit regarding the acrylic formicarium too. I suspect the sponge will need to be replaced on a reoccurring basis (annually?) depending on ant usage. Cotton balls will need to be replaced often and probably only reused once, but they're cheap so that's not an issue.

Thoughts?
i cant speak on the omni nests and such, as i havent owned one. distilled water will not help with mold, that has more to do with the cleanliness of said area.
it will however reduce mineral build up, which can slow the sponge.
i personally use cotton one time then done. i will say never use tap water on anything non mammal, unless its a mineral loving animal, such as gold fish, koi or turtles. IMO.
most tap water has a lot of stuff added to it that most wildlife never encounter in the wild. personally i like to try and mimic their natural living conditions as much as possible.
that being said water conditions vary from location to location, so you may have no reason to worry about anything. personally i dont trust the water companies in the states enough to not treat all my water, before using with anything. :geek:
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

larynx

Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:59 pm

another thought on hard water stains.... if hard water stains are present on a surface, the surface gains a texture. it is no longer smooth, therefor it will be easier for said surface to harbor bacteria and such. just a thought. :D
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer