Fire ant diet ideas?

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Voltagekid56

Fire ant diet ideas?

Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:02 am

I recently moved my ants into a formacarium but have not much of an idea of what to feed them exactly other than crickets. I know that they need meat, sugary food, and water but I don't know what exactly to feed them. Do fire ants have any certain foods that they like/prefer?

antdude

Re: Fire ant diet ideas?

Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:11 pm

Have you tried beef liver?

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:24 pm

Voltagekid56 wrote:I recently moved my ants into a formacarium but have not much of an idea of what to feed them exactly other than crickets. I know that they need meat, sugary food, and water but I don't know what exactly to feed them. Do fire ants have any certain foods that they like/prefer?
As far as protein mine liked chicken. they ate fried chicken, hot wings, cooked chicken breast. Mine were not big on chocolate, they liked super worms (I broke then half), crickets,

With Solenopsis there is a general rule for native fire ants... "If it stops long enough a fire ant will eat it"
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

idahoantgirl

Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:07 pm

Voltagekid56 wrote:I recently moved my ants into a formacarium but have not much of an idea of what to feed them exactly other than crickets. I know that they need meat, sugary food, and water but I don't know what exactly to feed them. Do fire ants have any certain foods that they like/prefer?
Mikey bustos says his solinopsis gemineta loves chocolate... I've never kept fire ants but I do know that mikey said his like chocolate soo...
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:29 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Mikey bustos says his solinopsis gemineta loves chocolate... I've never kept fire ants but I do know that mikey said his like chocolate soo...
That's why I tried it with mine and they wouldn't really touch it.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted: