I need some answers

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: I need some answers

Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:46 pm

#1 Like snakes and other insects they really don't perceive sound that well but use sight and vibrations as a means of keeping track of their surroundings. If you think of sound as the movement of air (which it is movement) the louder the sound the more movement (vibrations) there is. Just like if you watching ants they tend to go about their business, but if you set a glass down next to the nest or there is a loud clap or boom then they go into alert mode and that's because they felt the vibrations and it was large enough to cause concern to the ants. Also the same is with light, low light that isn't changing doesn't mess with them, but very bright light and or light that is changing quickly can be a cause of alarm to them.

I know with my scorpions slow movement doesn't disturb them and I can actually scoop them up with my hand if I go slow.

#2 I don't know that species to tell you if she needs it or not. But if you can get hold of some piplets you can use those to suck up a little sugar water or honey and (the very small ones) slip it between the cotton and the wall of the test tube and place it in the brood area and then retract it. You can also use a large hypodermic (12gauge) syringe to get it in the right spot too.

#3 If you keep it to a min you should be fine. Most common mistake is people wanting to look at them every day. If you make sure you give them enough water when you set up the test tube you should place it in a dark place and not disturb it for at least 2 weeks before you look. I use the two week just to look to see if they are still alive (have had some queens die and fungus up).

Hope some of that helps and I'm sure others will chime in with info also.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

AntsLuxembourg

Re: I need some answers

Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:51 am

Locked.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.