To Feed or Not To Feed

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

UberDuber

To Feed or Not To Feed

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:17 am

Hey I'm sure this has been asked many times, but does anyone have a link to a study on whether it's beneficial at all to feed fully claustral queens during the founding process?

From all my research, it seems like more ant keepers feed them than don't, but I can't find a log of where someone took like 60 queens, fed 30 and fasted 30, and logged the results.

My immediate thought is the stress of disturbing the founding chamber all the time to feed would cause a longer founding process anyways, which would negate the benefit of prolonging queen life by providing energy sources.

Thoughts?
Existing Colonies: Two P. Barbatus colonies with nanitics
Founding Stage: Twenty Three P. Barbatus Queens & Twenty Tetramorium Sp. Queens
Seeking Queens: P. Barbatus, P. Comanche

tiger01vincent

Re: To Feed or Not To Feed

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:20 pm

When the Nanitics have emerged, you should feed them ( with honey or so, but that u supposedly already knew) but why feed it when it is fully chlusteral, feed it a TINY bit of honey (I did) so they gain a liiiitle bit of energy at the start, but then I am just leaving them....

I guess this did not help, but I said my "thoughts" and this post seemed lonely so I posted! :D have a nice one m8
<3 Thanks!
Email: vincent.bystrom@gmail.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010099860866

Otherwise just DM me

UberDuber

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:34 pm

So you feed once at the start and then leave them alone until nanitics? Thanks for the input! :)
Existing Colonies: Two P. Barbatus colonies with nanitics
Founding Stage: Twenty Three P. Barbatus Queens & Twenty Tetramorium Sp. Queens
Seeking Queens: P. Barbatus, P. Comanche

hiitsmeiambored

Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:17 am

I have 4 fully claustral queens (previously 5 but one died) and I haven't fed any of them. 3 of them currently have cocoons/pupa and seem to be doing well so I just recommend feeding only if you think it's needed