Flies

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Yestordsd287

Flies

Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:46 pm

So i have 2 ant colonies that are getting started and I was wondering which flies should I feed them. I read that a good source are Vinegar Flies, which unfortunately i dont know where to get them. Where can i find these flies to make a farm?can i use flies caught home, i mean to catch them and mate them so then i can keep their offsprings and make a farm out of them?

Jadeninja9

Re: Flies

Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:54 pm

You can just get a vial of fruit flies from petsmart.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Batspiderfish

Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:39 pm

I don't know what availability is like where you are for feeder insects, but you could always make food intended for vinegar flies and raise whatever local native equivalent comes to lay eggs there. They'll have wings, but you can harvest them by refrigerating the container or utilizing some other method to separate adult flies.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Yestordsd287

Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:35 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
I don't know what availability is like where you are for feeder insects, but you could always make food intended for vinegar flies and raise whatever local native equivalent comes to lay eggs there. They'll have wings, but you can harvest them by refrigerating the container or utilizing some other method to separate adult flies.
Well, feeder insects are pretty hard to find due to the pet stores. Pet stores now ususally dont sell pets, but if they do, they are not selling reptiles or animals that need feeder insects. The flies that are found around here i could catch them and breed them. to separate adults from the young i could have another container on top of the flyes container and try to separate them and freeze the adults. I dont know if this is viable, but it is the best option i have.

Jadeninja9

Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:15 pm

Yestordsd287 wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:
Well, feeder insects are pretty hard to find due to the pet stores. Pet stores now ususally dont sell pets, but if they do, they are not selling reptiles or animals that need feeder insects. The flies that are found around here i could catch them and breed them. to separate adults from the young i could have another container on top of the flyes container and try to separate them and freeze the adults. I dont know if this is viable, but it is the best option i have.
Did you just say pet stores usually don't sell pets?
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Yestordsd287

Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:14 pm

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:15 pm
Yestordsd287 wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:
Did you just say pet stores usually don't sell pets?
Yes. I know it sounds weird, because pet stores sell pets, but where I live right now, the situation is not good, so not many pet stores sell pets, but they sell things like: dog toys, dog food, cat food, and stuff like that. As of right now I have seen no pet stores that sell reptiles.

Jadeninja9

Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:02 pm

Oh, I see. Wow that's lame.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Jadeninja9

Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:03 pm

I guess you could buy the wingless fruit flies off amazon.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Yestordsd287

Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:39 pm

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:03 pm
I guess you could buy the wingless fruit flies off amazon.
i could, but the shipment would be really expensive due to many national economic issues.

Jadeninja9

Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:42 pm

What about mealworms and crickets? You could freeze then cut them up into tiny pieces.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans