Flies

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Yestordsd287

Re: Flies

Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:44 pm

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:42 pm
What about mealworms and crickets? You could freeze then cut them up into tiny pieces.
I could, but I have no way of providing myself with them... maybe buying already dead mealworms could work, but I don't think I will be able to buy
Founding:
Odontomachus Sp.
Brachymyrmex Sp.

Come and join the Official Ant Keeping Amino App with this link: http://aminoapps.com/c/AntKeeping

Hope to see you there

Jadeninja9

Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:51 pm

Ok what if you got a black light bug zapper and got the dead bugs and fed them to your ant colonies
Keeper of:
Camponotus Hyatti
Founding:
10x Lasius alienus queens

Yestordsd287

Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:18 pm

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:51 pm
Ok what if you got a black light bug zapper and got the dead bugs and fed them to your ant colonies
Yeah I also thought of killing bugs to feed them, but then I thought they could have certain diseases or pesticides my ants could get and die, but I will try it
Founding:
Odontomachus Sp.
Brachymyrmex Sp.

Come and join the Official Ant Keeping Amino App with this link: http://aminoapps.com/c/AntKeeping

Hope to see you there

Jadeninja9

Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:20 am

Ok
Keeper of:
Camponotus Hyatti
Founding:
10x Lasius alienus queens

Serafine

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:14 am

Try boiled egg yolk and cooked chicken.
Also frozen spiders work well. And no, most of them do NOT have mites and if they do a few days in the freezer is usually enough to kill them. Yes, mites can survive extremely low temperatures but only if the transition is slow - just like Camponotus herculeanus can survive -30°C yet they will die at -5°C if you throw them in the freezer on a hot summer day.
Pesticides could be an issue but only if they are heavily used in your area.
You could also ask a friendly bee keeper if he's giving you the pupae/larvae when he cuts his bee brood (they gonna throw them away anyway), these are superb ant food.
"We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull."

Join the Antkeeping Discord chat: https://discordapp.com/invite/ZXFTVzD

Yestordsd287

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:29 am

Serafine wrote:
Also frozen spiders work well. And no, most of them do NOT have mites and if they do a few days in the freezer is usually enough to kill them. Yes, mites can survive extremely low temperatures but only if the transition is slow - just like Camponotus herculeanus can survive -30°C yet they will die at -5°C if you throw them in the freezer on a hot summer day.
You could also ask a friendly bee keeper if he's giving you the pupae/larvae when he cuts his bee brood (they gonna throw them away anyway), these are superb ant food.
Thanks. I can try the egg yolk and the chicken. I havent seen many spiders around so I will have to look for them. Pesticides haven't been used for a very long time like a year or two. I am the only one that is into insect keeping so I have no friends or known people that raise bees.
Founding:
Odontomachus Sp.
Brachymyrmex Sp.

Hope to see you there

Yestordsd287

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:36 am

Yestordsd287 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:29 am
Serafine wrote:
Thanks. I can try the egg yolk and the chicken. I havent seen many spiders around so I will have to look for them. Pesticides haven't been used for a very long time like a year or two. I am the only one that is into insect keeping so I have no friends or known people that raise bees.
How big should the spiders be? And can I use spiders with skinny legs that don't look very big?
Founding:
Odontomachus Sp.
Brachymyrmex Sp.

Hope to see you there

TavLeeRayTay

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:32 am

This may be off topic but does anyone know how to post anything because I only know how to reply to other posts. I also keep getting private messages but don't know how to reply to them.
let me know how I can do this. :D
So far i have one queen laying new eggs!

TavLeeRayTay

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:33 am

This may be off topic but does anyone know how to post anything because I only know how to reply to other posts. I also keep getting private messages but don't know how to reply to them.
let me know how I can do this. :D
So far i have one queen laying new eggs!