Feeding ideas and insect "farming"

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Idahoantguy

Feeding ideas and insect "farming"

Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:29 pm

I was trying to find out about feeding ants their protein source and I had a couple of questions. 1. I saw someone on this forum say that they feed their ants bee larvae. I have a bee hive and i was wondering if freezing the larvae for long periods of time would decrease the potency or effectiveness at feeding the ants. 2. I thought I saw a video on YouTube at some point that talked about how to farm crickets and meal/super worms. I tried to find it again but couldn't: so I was wondering if any of you guys raise crickets or worms, and if you do how do you do it? I thought I saw something for worms where you keep them in oatmeal with fresh veggies for food and water. Is that a good way to raise them and keep them mating? I know this is a lot of words so thanks for your time and help! :D
-Idahoantguy
Founding:
Tetramorium sp. E x4
Tetramorium sp. E x4 They hatched!

Batspiderfish

Re: Feeding ideas and insect "farming"

Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:10 pm

I raise Tenebrio molitor (mealworms) Dubia blaptica (tropical roaches) and Drosophila melanogaster (vinegar flies). It's probably way easier than raiding a bee hive. You can find lots of resources online as to how to raise these.

I recommend the wingless Drosophila, since they are very easy to raise and grow very quickly. They are also eagerly accepted by most ant species.
Links:
Rules & Requirements for Identification:
http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=292

How to take pictures for identification:
http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2167

Idahoantguy

Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:22 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:10 pm
It's probably way easier than raiding a bee hive.
My family owns a domestic hive (they live in a box with frames) and the drone comb they produce is not necessary for the colony so I cut it out anyway. It has the larvae, would that make a difference?
Founding:
Tetramorium sp. E x4

Serafine

Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:31 am

I feed my Camponotus bee larvae and pupae I got from a friend who had to cut his bee brood. They love them, even more than spiders. (Still have half a frame in my freezer.)
"We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull."

Join the Antkeeping Discord chat: https://discordapp.com/invite/ZXFTVzD

Idahoantguy

Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:21 pm

Serafine wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:31 am
I feed my Camponotus bee larvae and pupae I got from a friend who had to cut his bee brood. They love them, even more than spiders. (Still have half a frame in my freezer.)
Ok cool!
Founding:
Tetramorium sp. E x4

idahoantgirl

Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:14 pm

Thats cool that you have a hive. My family has been wanted to get one, but we have a rod iron fence so it wont work. Were planning on putting it in one of my friends backyards. Shhh, don't tell them. :lol: jk.
Proverbs 6:6-11

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Idahoantguy

Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:43 am

idahoantgirl wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:14 pm
Thats cool that you have a hive. My family has been wanted to get one, but we have a rod iron fence so it wont work. Were planning on putting it in one of my friends backyards. Shhh, don't tell them. :lol: jk.
Haha! I'm unaware of any conflict with keeping bees and having a rod iron fence... Hopefully it will work out!
Founding:
Tetramorium sp. E x4