Sunburst nectar...

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

xTNxANTMANx

Sunburst nectar...

Thu May 04, 2017 6:58 pm

I am debating on purchasing the Sunburst nectar off Amazon but am curious to know if any has used this product and if so, how well does it work? Do they ants take to it good or what? I want to provide my ants with only the best (If possible) and am just curious about this product. Thanks for any knowledge.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Martialis

Re: Sunburst nectar...

Thu May 04, 2017 8:04 pm

There is evidence that byFormica's Sunburst will be preferred by ants, but at $22 per 150 mL bottle, sugar water can be more coat effective.

I will say this: 150 mL will last a long time with a moderately sized colony.
Keeper of

Selliing:

xTNxANTMANx

Thu May 04, 2017 8:54 pm

I was reading up on it and it's supposed to have other micronutrients they are missed in keeping captive ant colonies that they get in the wild. I have 2 separate Camponotus subbarbatus colonies so I may just get the 60ml bottle and do an experiment and see if I can tell a difference in growth/behaviour/stamina/etc... Money isn't an issue. I can always make money :-). I'm going to try and do more research b4 making the purchase but if I do, I'll be sure to record my findings for everyone.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Serafine

Fri May 05, 2017 6:47 pm

If you feed your ants a broad diet (and not just mealworms) they shouldn't lack anything.

Just feed whatever you can get your hands on - mealworms, crickets, grasshoppers, wild spiders (my Camponotus love these), fruit flies, raspberry bits, meat fly larvae/pupae (very popular as well), beetles, ham, meat, sugar water, honey, maple syrup (they love it), strawberry bits, apple bits, etc.

I have a bottle of Sunburst and use it to fill the Galileo feeders (THESE are really amazing) and my ants drink it, but then they took every sugar source I've offered them so far (honey, sugar water (1:1, 3:1,4:1), marple syrup, sunburst, coconut flower syrup, etc.).
I think Sunburst is best used when you have issues getting your ants to take sugars or when spoiling is an issue.