Formica ignoring food

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

PhatGaster

Formica ignoring food

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:49 pm

Have two formica colonies of the same species that I caught. They both ate honey their first meal with me, but now one colony is not eating. I've feed fruit flies and cricket legs both but one colony loves it and digs in and the other barely touches it and are very skittish when food comes, freaking out and trying to escape. Their both under the same conditions and same species so now I'm concerned. Only difference is one colony has 4 workers and the one not eating only has 2.They also rejected fresh blood orange and honey. Any theories or solutions?
Beginner keeper of Prenolepis Imparis and Formica pallidefulva. Would appreciate all the help I can

PhatGaster

Re: Formica ignoring food

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:51 pm

BTW I've had people tell me since their establishe'd they probably need a foraging are and I plan to give them one once I get back home from school in a week but for now I feed them their test tube. I've heard people have success with that too. Could it be the need to forage? Or something else? Cuz the other colony is fat and happy.
Beginner keeper of Prenolepis Imparis and Formica pallidefulva. Would appreciate all the help I can

Batspiderfish

Re: Formica ignoring food

Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:34 pm

So were these wild caught? It doesn't sound good for them if they weren't born in captivity. Unless these were found as very young colonies, they will probably fail without their original numbers. Regardless, there isn't much you can do but wait. Ants will not eat every single day, especially when the colony is small.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.