Do Solenopsis Sp eat bees?

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

XxStrongHeroxX
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:08 pm

Do Solenopsis Sp eat bees?

Post: # 20278Post XxStrongHeroxX
Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:28 am

Do Solenopsis Sp eat bees? And something else quickly, How long will it take to see my first worker?
American

Martialis
Posts: 1564
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:30 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Do Solenopsis Sp eat bees?

Post: # 20291Post Martialis
Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:11 am

Ants can be scavengers. They should be able to eat the bee.

Which species?
Keeper of

Formica sp.

Tetramorium caespitum

Camponotus chromaiodes

Selliing:

XxStrongHeroxX
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: Do Solenopsis Sp eat bees?

Post: # 20297Post XxStrongHeroxX
Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:16 pm

Martialis wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:11 am
Ants can be scavengers. They should be able to eat the bee.

Which species?
Honey bees
American

Martialis
Posts: 1564
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:30 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Do Solenopsis Sp eat bees?

Post: # 20298Post Martialis
Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:15 pm

I meant for the ants; what species are they?
XxStrongHeroxX wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:16 pm
Martialis wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:11 am
Ants can be scavengers. They should be able to eat the bee.

Which species?
Honey bees
Keeper of

Formica sp.

Tetramorium caespitum

Camponotus chromaiodes

Selliing:

XxStrongHeroxX
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: Do Solenopsis Sp eat bees?

Post: # 20299Post XxStrongHeroxX
Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:43 pm

Martialis wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:15 pm
I meant for the ants; what species are they?
XxStrongHeroxX wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:16 pm
Martialis wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:11 am
Ants can be scavengers. They should be able to eat the bee.

Which species?
Honey bees
Oh my bad solenopsis Sp
American

Martialis
Posts: 1564
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:30 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Do Solenopsis Sp eat bees?

Post: # 20320Post Martialis
Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:22 pm

That doesn't tell anything. Thief ants like Solenopsis molesta take a very short time from egg to worker. Larger species like S. invicta or S. geminata take around one to one and a half months.
Keeper of

Formica sp.

Tetramorium caespitum

Camponotus chromaiodes

Selliing:

XxStrongHeroxX
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: Do Solenopsis Sp eat bees?

Post: # 20323Post XxStrongHeroxX
Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:09 pm

Martialis wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:22 pm
That doesn't tell anything. Thief ants like Solenopsis molesta take a very short time from egg to worker. Larger species like S. invicta or S. geminata take around one to one and a half months.
i mean that my ants are Solenopsis spp
American

Martialis
Posts: 1564
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:30 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Do Solenopsis Sp eat bees?

Post: # 20338Post Martialis
Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:44 pm

I'm not trying to be rude, but the abbreviations like "sp." and "spp." refer to a "species" and "hybrid species"(?) or a "species complex" respectively. They are not actual species, but used when a species is not assigned to an identification.
Keeper of

Formica sp.

Tetramorium caespitum

Camponotus chromaiodes

Selliing:

User avatar
Serafine
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:23 am
Location: Germany

Re: Do Solenopsis Sp eat bees?

Post: # 20345Post Serafine
Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:07 am

Solenopsis sp just means "any Solenopsis" but there are vastly different Solenopsis, like red fire ants (Solenopsis invicta and geminata) and super tiny thief ants (Solenopsis molesta and fugax).

Saying "I have Solenopsis sp" is like saying "I have a dog" - could be a tiny chihuahua, a giant irish wolfhound or anything in between.
"We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull."

Join the Antkeeping Discord chat: https://discordapp.com/invite/ZXFTVzD

XxStrongHeroxX
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: Do Solenopsis Sp eat bees?

Post: # 20364Post XxStrongHeroxX
Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:36 pm

Serafine wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:07 am
Solenopsis sp just means "any Solenopsis" but there are vastly different Solenopsis, like red fire ants (Solenopsis invicta and geminata) and super tiny thief ants (Solenopsis molesta and fugax).

Saying "I have Solenopsis sp" is like saying "I have a dog" - could be a tiny chihuahua, a giant irish wolfhound or anything in between.
oh i did not know i caught a queen and people just said it was a solenopsis sp but here is the thread http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=3073
American

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest