My Aphaenogaster fulva colony....help...

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

xTNxANTMANx

My Aphaenogaster fulva colony....help...

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:30 am

When my colony started coming out of hibernation they were doing pretty good it seemed and now it's like they're slowly becoming weak or something. I'm not sure if its their diet or what cuz it almost seems like they're not eating like they were. I've been giving them sugar water, termites, honey, and even gave them a small piece of ham. I'm not sure if im giving them the right protein. They have no problem with the sugars I give them but as far as protein goes I think I need a little help. Anyone out there that has kept this species before could you help please? I've read in places that they like seeds but how would you go about giving them to them? I just need help in general lol.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Martialis

Re: My Aphaenogaster fulva colony....help...

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:01 am

They may still be coming out of hibernation. Are you heating them? How long have they been out?
Keeper of

Selliing:

idahoantgirl

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:34 pm

if they aren't eating the protein you have provided, try a different protein. Make sure they can carry it or bits of it back to the nest. Try crickets, cockroaches, seeds (I feed mine pumpkin seeds broken up into little tiny pieces) Sesame seeds, moist or broken up dog or cat food, ect.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Batspiderfish

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:51 pm

Drosophila flies were a favorite of my Aphaenogaster.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

xTNxANTMANx

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:55 pm

I use a 15w heating cable and they have been coming out for a few weeks now. Luckily I have a dog so I'll try her food and I also got a cpl cockroaches today so I'll try those as well. Hate that I'm working today (afternoon shift) because its 80° out and be prime queen hunting. :(
Thx for the info though guys. And with the seeds, I should crush them right? And does your like the pumpkin seeds?
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2