Where can get proteins for my ants??

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

davislbsb

Where can get proteins for my ants??

Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:41 pm

I have a young colony with 6 to 7 ants(camponotus sp). I don't know where to find insects for my ants. There aren't any insects in the nature because i live in a city and i didn't found them in pet stores. where do you think i could find some??

idahoantgirl

Re: Where can get proteins for my ants??

Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:22 pm

davislbsb wrote:
I have a young colony with 6 to 7 ants(camponotus sp). I don't know where to find insects for my ants. There aren't any insects in the nature because i live in a city and i didn't found them in pet stores. where do you think i could find some??
If you can't find them in pet stores, perhaps try fishing shops? They are sure to carry live bait.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Fulkol

Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:11 pm

Buy a starter kit of some small feeding animal like wingless fruit flies and then you're good for a couple of months probably
You can get these on any online worldwide shopping sites

Cale3459

Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:34 pm

davislbsb wrote:
A lot of pet stores keep crickets in the back room as feeder insects for reptiles. If the pet store has reptiles I am quite sure they will also have crickets. At the pet store I go to I just tell the store owner I need a dozen crickets and she goes and gets me a bag. I also buy cricket food and keep them alive myself so I always have a fresh source of protein for my colony. They are very easy to keep alongside my nest, I just throw a few cubes of food in daily and keep the water pillow full every couple weeks.