What to feed tetramorium sp. E

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

fiercedude

What to feed tetramorium sp. E

Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:50 pm

So I'm planning to start my first ant colony this summer, and I'm having trouble figuring out what tetramorium sp. E eats. Most of what comes up when I look it up, is stuff from pest control websites saying what it eats when it comes into your house, which I doubt is food that those ants naturally eat. So what should I feed tetramorium sp. E? Thanks.

Batspiderfish

Re: What to feed tetramorium sp. E

Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:23 pm

The standard diet for ants is insects, fruits, and sugary liquid.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

fiercedude

Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:42 am

I know that, I was more wondering what types of those foods Tetramorium sp. E eats. Can it be given just any type of insect or fruit?

Batspiderfish

Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:28 am

There's nothing particularly unique about the Tetramorium nutritional needs, except that they will also accept small seeds (to ***** their diet, not replace it.)
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Serafine

Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:40 am

Basic food:

1) Water
- Best offered in a test tube

2) Sugar sources
- Honey
- Sugar water
- Hummingbird nectar
- Marple sirup

3) Protein sources in the form of dead insects)
- Fruit flies (best for young colonies)
- Mealworms, Superworms
- Crickets
- Roaches (for very big colonies)

4) Additional food
- Seeds and small nuts like sesame seeds (they are usually most happily accepted in fall before the colony goes into hibernation)
- Sweet fruit
- Experimentals (cat food, dog food, cooked meat, fruit jelly, protein bars, etc.)

Tetramorium are very opportunistic and accept a broad variety of food. Just try out what sorts of food they like and what is rejected. It'll be rather obvious.