Maple Syrup or Corn Syrup?

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Nathant

Maple Syrup or Corn Syrup?

Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:41 am

Idea! :idea: Has anyone tried feeding corn syrup or real maple syrup, or know how healthy it is? I want a diverse source of sugar to expirement with my upcoming colonies for springtime. :)
Massachusetts Nuptial Flight Thread | Massachusetts Anting Thread | My Ants

idahoantgirl

Re: Maple Syrup or Corn Syrup?

Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:00 am

Nathant wrote:Idea! :idea: Has anyone tried feeding corn syrup or real maple syrup, or know how healthy it is? I want a diverse source of sugar to expirement with my upcoming colonies for springtime. :)
I've tried both, but it was at atime when my colony didn't need a bunch of food. they didn't seem to be crazy over either, but again they were so young they only had about 15 workers. now I imagine they would be very hyped. each colony has their own likes and dislikes programmed into them. Like i hedard one person say on this forum, "Ants are like women. One day they will want crickets, and ice cream with pickles on it the next."
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Serafine

Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:20 pm

Ant colonies have individual colony personalities. Just because one colony rejects something doesn't mean another colony of the same species dislikes that same food it as well. Best is to test around and see what your individual colony likes (also taste may change over time, so you can try again at a later time if something is rejected).

My colony is still super small and the single worker foraging seems to love the 50/50 sugar water I offered - they easily drink two big drops over night and they're just 4 workers plus the queen. Didn't touch the honey water though.
Also she was hyped about the superworm parts and while they still have dead fruit flies in their nest she didn't touch the newest one I added today.

Nathant

Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:29 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Nathant wrote:Idea! :idea: Has anyone tried feeding corn syrup or real maple syrup, or know how healthy it is? I want a diverse source of sugar to expirement with my upcoming colonies for springtime. :)
I've tried both, but it was at atime when my colony didn't need a bunch of food. they didn't seem to be crazy over either, but again they were so young they only had about 15 workers. now I imagine they would be very hyped. each colony has their own likes and dislikes programmed into them. Like i hedard one person say on this forum, "Ants are like women. One day they will want crickets, and ice cream with pickles on it the next."

Interesting... I knew certain colonies liked different foods, but I didn't know they changed that quick, or even at all.
Thanks for that info, idahoantgirl! :D

Annexis

Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:15 pm

Honestly I dont think it matters which one. I would probably give it Maple Syrup but that is only because I prefer Maple over any other kinds. :lol: :D

Nathant

Re: Maple Syrup? Corn Syrup?

Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:26 pm

Annexis wrote:Honestly I dont think it matters which one. I would probably give it Maple Syrup but that is only because I prefer Maple over any other kinds. :lol: :D
haha, same here! :D