Fluker's Cricket Diet

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Regulator2B

Fluker's Cricket Diet

Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:58 pm

I've recently stopped keeping live crickets and just picking up a few at a time from the pet store on my way to or from work when I decide to feed cricket. As a result I have a partial jar of cricket diet that I'm not using. I was wondering if anyone had ever tried feeding it direct to your colonies and if there is any reason that it might be a bad idea as an addition to their diet.

https://flukerfarms.com/orange-cube-cricket-diet/

I'm currently keeping a Camponotus discolor colony with around 100-150 workers that have refused every fruit I've given them and seem to like fruit flies, meal works, crickets, and sunburst ant nectar as their primary food sources.

AM1C39

Re: Fluker's Cricket Diet

Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:10 pm

The website sais ''This product is made from nutritious items such as kelp, spirulina and brewer's yeast'' these items may not appeal to your ants. I would suggest not feeding it to your colony even if it does not contain anything that might harm them.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:52 pm

Regulator2B wrote:
I've recently stopped keeping live crickets and just picking up a few at a time from the pet store on my way to or from work when I decide to feed cricket. As a result I have a partial jar of cricket diet that I'm not using. I was wondering if anyone had ever tried feeding it direct to your colonies and if there is any reason that it might be a bad idea as an addition to their diet.

I'm currently keeping a Camponotus discolor colony with around 100-150 workers that have refused every fruit I've given them and seem to like fruit flies, meal works, crickets, and sunburst ant nectar as their primary food sources.
Ants like different thins than crickets
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsAntsAnts

Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:08 am

Regulator2B wrote:

ants aren't fond of fruit but you can try honey and proteinjel
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:25 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Regulator2B wrote:

I am in a similar situation… I would assume it is safe for ants, as the crickets eat it then the ants ate my crickets, and I had no problems
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsAntsAnts

Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:56 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:25 am
AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Regulator2B wrote:

I am in a similar situation… I would assume it is safe for ants, as the crickets eat it then the ants ate my crickets, and I had no problems
one way is feeding the crickets fruit so they get a bit of the fruit while eating cricket
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)