Odontomachus won't eat.

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

EduardoOhashi

Odontomachus won't eat.

Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:09 am

Hello, I'm from Brazil. This is the first time I'm trying to start a colony, so I'm having some issues. :cry:

Last week I caught 1 Odontomachus queen and 2 queens that I believe to be Pachyocondyla. All of them are still with their wings. Doing some research, I found that both species are semi-claustral (correct?), so I put their test tubes inside acrilic boxes with some sand and artificial plants.
The problem is that the Odontomachus queen doesn't eat anything I gave her. I already tried worms, mealworms, flies, bugs (tried alive and dead), sugarwater, honey... She goes exploring often, just like the Pachycondyla queens, but doesn't accept anything I give her.
None of my queens laid eggs yet, but I think I just have to be patient.

Anyone with experience keeping Odontomachus?

seahehern

Re: Odontomachus won't eat.

Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:59 am

Is your queen in a dark area because queens get less stress in darker areas #AntLove .

EduardoOhashi

Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:13 am

Yes, they are inside my wardrobe. Last night I gave them a spider I found (put it on a piece of paper). Today in the morning, the spider was a few centimeters away, but I'm not sure if they ate it.

Martialis

Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:25 am

EduardoOhashi wrote:Yes, they are inside my wardrobe. Last night I gave them a spider I found (put it on a piece of paper). Today in the morning, the spider was a few centimeters away, but I'm not sure if they ate it.
Try something small and living. Semi claustral queens tend to like living prey better from my experience.
Keeper of

Selliing: