What should I feed lasius claviger

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Canadiananter

What should I feed lasius claviger

Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:30 pm

^^^^^^^^^
BTW I cannot culture root aphids

Batspiderfish

Re: What should I feed lasius claviger

Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:30 pm

A queen definitely needs host workers, just for starters. I think that the high mortality rate of foundresses in captivity may have something to do with the absence of root aphids, because they do not seem particularly good at getting host workers to offer them food (although I am witnessing some trophallaxis, now, with my L. latipes queens). I think it may be important to offer the queen/host workers tiny sugary snacks inside their founding test tube.

If the colony succeeds, I don't think it is actually necessary for them to have aphids.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Canadiananter

Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:35 pm

Ok. Right now the queen and workers seem to be ignoring each other but not attacking.is this a good thing?Also, I am using lasius claviger as one of the hosts. Is this okay?

Batspiderfish

Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:40 pm

Canadiananter wrote:Ok. Right now the queen and workers seem to be ignoring each other but not attacking.is this a good thing?Also, I am using lasius claviger as one of the hosts. Is this okay?
It might actually be ideal to have a same or similar host species. We don't know very much at all about the founding traits of Acanthomyops in captivity, as nobody's really succeeded before.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Canadiananter

Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:54 pm

I think that you may be on to something. Yesterday I was wondering if they could do a pleometric founding so I added a second queen and the claviger workers were the only ones attacking the new queen so I'm assuming they're much more loyal. I have claviger, neoniger,pallitarsis,alienus and a single emarginatus worker as hosts

JoeHostile

Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:53 am

You have all those different species of workers together? And then you introduce the Claviger queen to try and trick her into thinking she's in whichever nest she prefers? Interesting...