Wrong Water?

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

reconghosts

Wrong Water?

Thu May 28, 2020 7:53 am

I know this seems like a strange issue, but I've got a small colony of Lasius Niger, they were fine, moved homes and since I've been using the water from the new home they've been dying quite quickly. The only difference I can think of is the water as I admit it does taste a little weird to my last place. Is there any type of bottled water I could buy or water purification and try as this would be the second and last colony I would lose after moving and the only thing that could've changed is the water... Thanks to everyone who can help

CabboAntsGuy

Re: Wrong Water?

Thu May 28, 2020 8:25 am

The only other thing I could think of is age, so you could buy any type bottled water i think.
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

reconghosts

Thu May 28, 2020 11:51 am

Okay thank you, the queen has currently taken up her new home in the water test tube so I'll wait for her to move out before I take the old one away

Hawkeye

Sun May 31, 2020 6:17 pm

reconghosts wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:53 am
I know this seems like a strange issue, but I've got a small colony of Lasius Niger, they were fine, moved homes and since I've been using the water from the new home they've been dying quite quickly. The only difference I can think of is the water as I admit it does taste a little weird to my last place. Is there any type of bottled water I could buy or water purification and try as this would be the second and last colony I would lose after moving and the only thing that could've changed is the water... Thanks to everyone who can help
Your tapwater likely has chlorine or other chemicals added to it, which is having an adverse effect on your colony. You can buy bottled water of course which should be fine. Another option is to go to your local pet store. They should have a solution to treat your tapwater. It removes chemicals from the water and makes it save to use in aquariums. That should work for ants too and might be cheaper in the long run.