What to feed Formica

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

ooper01
Head Moderator

What to feed Formica

Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:46 am

Wondering what you Formica experts feed your Formica colonies. Mine seem pretty picky. I have sugar water always available, but they don't seem to like much else I feed them. I have tried dry cat food (crushed), wet cat food (they will take this sometimes), various breads & crackers, nectarine chunks. Any other suggestions?

Also, the colony I have seem to only produce brood in the Spring, then nothing the rest of the year. Is this normal for Formica?
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Batspiderfish

Re: What to feed Formica

Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:37 pm

Formicinae ants can't digest starch, so all those plant-based foods (excluding fruit) are going to be useless asides from sugars and fats. They eat insects and photosynthates. Melanogaster flies always seem to work, and mine particularly enjoy pieces of Tenebrio pupae.

Formica only seriously lay eggs from spring to mid-summer.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Batspiderfish

Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:44 pm

I believe Myrmicinae is the only subfamily in our area that will make serious use of foods like seeds and breads.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

notmyidea

Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:28 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:Melanogaster flies always seem to work
Mine loved those.