European ant feeding

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

EdgarFromLatvia

European ant feeding

Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:03 am

What do you, ant keepers in Europe, use for protein and sugar?

Austheboss

Re: European ant feeding

Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:09 am

EdgarFromLatvia wrote:What do you, ant keepers in Europe, use for protein and sugar?
:| I'm not in Europe but honey will work just fine for sugar, and maybe some sugar water too.

I would personally like to buy my feed, so that my colony has a definitive food source, so there is no guessing when they'll get their next meal, or if that meal has pesticides.

However, I didn't find any Varaklani (or any in Latvia, for that matter, which is pretty big) petsmarts, which usually sell crickets. I tried looking farther, but it doesn't look like there is any cricket suppliers anywhere, although it is kind of difficult to search because it just comes up with bats and uniforms even when I put into the search bar, "insects". In fact, there is no pet supplier, literally, in all of Latvia that supplies live insect food, because the only pets people have there are cats and dogs. No lizards or reptile shop. So......

Better get outside and start getting insect food! :lol:
.---- ..--- ..--- .....-----

EdgarFromLatvia

Re: European ant feeding

Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:18 am

Austheboss wrote:
EdgarFromLatvia wrote:What do you, ant keepers in Europe, use for protein and sugar?
:| I'm not in Europe but honey will work just fine for sugar, and maybe some sugar water too.

I would personally like to buy my feed, so that my colony has a definitive food source, so there is no guessing when they'll get their next meal, or if that meal has pesticides.

However, I didn't find any Varaklani (or any in Latvia, for that matter, which is pretty big) petsmarts, which usually sell crickets. I tried looking farther, but it doesn't look like there is any cricket suppliers anywhere, although it is kind of difficult to search because it just comes up with bats and uniforms even when I put into the search bar, "insects". In fact, there is no pet supplier, literally, in all of Latvia that supplies live insect food, because the only pets people have there are cats and dogs. No lizards or reptile shop. So......

Better get outside and start getting insect food! :lol:
Thankyou so much for the research and advice.