Can ants survive on mealworms?

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

MCWren

Can ants survive on mealworms?

Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:25 pm

I'm trying to convince my mom to let me get dubia roaches, but she won't let me because they're still called cockroaches. I have explained that they are distant relatives to the "infestationy" kind, but she doesn't care. I have also explained that my ants won't be able to survive just eating mealworms (which I have already) for protein, along with the occasional termite from outside. Can someone please explain that I need dubia roaches so I can prove it to my mom? Thank you.

Aaron567

Re: Can ants survive on mealworms?

Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:32 pm

Depending on the species, I think most ants need a variety of sweets and protein. I feed my fire ants honey, peanut butter, honey, mealworms, waxworms, and other insects. Some ants require more protein and some require more sugar.

MCWren

Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:37 pm

Aaron567 wrote:Depending on the species, I think most ants need a variety of sweets and protein. I feed my fire ants honey, peanut butter, honey, mealworms, waxworms, and other insects. Some ants require more protein and some require more sugar.
I meant just for protein. I intend to feed them honey as well.

Aaron567

Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:39 pm

MCWren wrote:
Aaron567 wrote:Depending on the species, I think most ants need a variety of sweets and protein. I feed my fire ants honey, peanut butter, honey, mealworms, waxworms, and other insects. Some ants require more protein and some require more sugar.
I meant just for protein. I intend to feed them honey as well.
Oh. Then maybe they can. Mealworms are a good pretty protein source :D

larynx

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:26 pm

Gromphadorhina portentosa are a little less gross looking in my opinion. Maybe if you can find a more "attractive" looking sp. she will be ok with them. Also the fact that they wont survive with out a high heat source may help. Gromphadorhina once out of high temps (like anywhere in the house) they start to slow down and die. So they wont escape for too long before dying. :)
On a side note, the protein content of a feeder insect can be controlled by you. they are almost literally what they eat.
Last edited by larynx on Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Batspiderfish

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:26 pm

Ants don't like to eat the same thing every single time, but that doesn't mean they need Dubia roaches. I think the AntsCanada video about protein foods might have been a tad misleading -- all feeder insects are going to be quite nutritious (especially when they are well cared for). The key is simply variety. Think outside the box and figure out what you can or can't raise for your ants. :)

I have a culture of roaches going right now, but I think they're super cute... it's kinda creating a dilemma. :(
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

MCWren

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:30 pm

I know they need variety, but I don't want crickets (they smell) so dubia roaches seem perfect. Plus, they need 90 degrees Fahrenheit to breed. My mom knows this, but she's stubborn when it comes to this issue.

AntsRule

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:37 pm

Tell her they are slow and can not climb, I am going to keep mine in a basement where it stays like 55 degrees would that be an option for you?
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

MCWren

Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:34 am

My basement doesn't get that cold.

I would recommend against that, as dubia roaches need around 90 degrees Fahrenheit to breed.

idahoantgirl

Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:03 am

here is what I do. I buy a container of live crickets from the pet store and freeze them to kill them. Then I make sure that they are wrapped well in two plastic bags and kept in the freezer. then when my ants need some protein I pull a cricket out, (or snap off a cricket leg) and stick it in the outworld. it will thaw very quickly. this way, you don't have to deal with the stink, any escapees, or killing live crickets with your fingers :| If your mom absolutely says no to anything other than mealworms, it's okay. you can also give them meat, egg yolk, and other protein sources to help *****. but remember, the most important thing is that you submit to your parents at all times. They love you and they have done a lot for you so you need to obey them. :D
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile