Can ants survive on mealworms?

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

AntsRule

Re: Can ants survive on mealworms?

Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:19 pm

MCWren wrote:My basement doesn't get that cold.

I would recommend against that, as dubia roaches need around 90 degrees Fahrenheit to breed.
I will be heating them to keep them that temp :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

MCWren

Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:29 pm

larynx wrote: On a side note, the protein content of a feeder insect can be controlled by you. they are almost literally what they eat.
What can I feed mealworms that will be the healthiest for my ants?

larynx

Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:29 pm

MCWren wrote:
larynx wrote: On a side note, the protein content of a feeder insect can be controlled by you. they are almost literally what they eat.
They sell gutload at pet shops and online, or you can feed them protein and vitamin rich foods. Such as oats and some fruits and such.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

GriffinAnt

Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:25 am

fruit fly is good. small flightless no smell loads of them easy to buy some them make own medium and keep breeding them. fish flakes packed full of protein. cooked ham theres lots can use to offer them varity

Lorcan

Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:29 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:03 am
here is what I do. I buy a container of live crickets from the pet store and freeze them to kill them. Then I make sure that they are wrapped well in two plastic bags and kept in the freezer. then when my ants need some protein I pull a cricket out, (or snap off a cricket leg) and stick it in the outworld. it will thaw very quickly. this way, you don't have to deal with the stink, any escapees, or killing live crickets with your fingers :| If your mom absolutely says no to anything other than mealworms, it's okay. you can also give them meat, egg yolk, and other protein sources to help *****. but remember, the most important thing is that you submit to your parents at all times. They love you and they have done a lot for you so you need to obey them. :D
Can the same be done with hissing roaches

PwnerPie

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:02 pm

MCWren wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:29 pm
I keep my meal worms in oats, and feed them veggies every few days. The meal worms have been doing great (breeding them so allowing them to grow into adult beetles...dont tell your mom they do that. haha!). Ants have been doing great as well. i only feed them honey and mealworms. Caught them all last year, all of them that I know are fertilized are laying eggs (5 out of 7). 1 has over 30 workers, 3 have 10+ (all formica). The 5th is myrmica, brood grow really slow even heated, shouldn't be related to food intake (apparently myrmica brood grow about the same speed as Camponotus....slow).

Overall, should be fine with Meal worms and honey. Just feed the meal worms good greens so the ants get the nutrients. Also, dont feed your ants outside bugs. Feed them 1 wrong bug (that was exposed to pesticides) and your colony can die.
Keeper of:
1x Formica Pacifica
2x Camponotus Modoc
1x Tetramorium Immigrans
2x Lasius Sp

Founding:
3x Lasius Sp
2x Formica Argentea
2x Myrmica Rubra

GAN Farmer: 4 Colonies sold
Goal: Supply school science classes with colonies for learning.

KdenKden

Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:36 am

Can I feed my pheidole piliferia ants dried store bought meal worms.
Currently housing Solenopsis Molesta and Brachymyrmex patagonicus.