A good termite trap

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

MCWren

A good termite trap

Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:36 pm

Around 5 weeks ago, I put a termite trap I found how to make on the Internet out in my backyard. The trap is simply a few pieces of cardboard placed on top of each other and wrapped with a rubber band. You then moisten the cardboard, and put it in your yard.
After 5 weeks (I would have looked sooner, but I went to sleepaway camp for 3 weeks), I checked the trap and it was filled with termites. They had even made mud tunnels and everything! If I had to guess, there were 100+ termites in it. I collected some for my ants, of course. That was the point from the beginning. I'll update in a few minutes after I feed my ants.

MCWren

Re: A good termite trap

Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:23 pm

Update: I should've killed the termites first... Not sure if my tiny workers will be able to eat them. However, I have fed one to a Camponotus pennsylvanicus queen (no workers yet, but many pupae) and within seconds of it being in the tube, she pounced on it and started devouring it. It was awesome, she cut it almost in half with a single bite.

AntsRule

Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:35 pm

I will be doing this!!!! :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

MCWren

Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:44 am

I forgot to mention this: when in collecting termites, I only take the workers. I don't want termite soldiers to kill any of my ants. If you have a large colony and it isn't in a test tube, it would probably be fine to use soldiers, since they have no chance of killing your queen. Almost any ants could easily take termite soldiers.

AnthonyP163

Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:45 am

Quit bragging you have termites Lol

MCWren

Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:03 am

Durant wrote:I have a ton of termites too!!! But if u don't wanna have the hassle of waiting I would recommend flipping over rocks and peeling bark to find termites and scoop them up with a test tube to not kill them. Hope I helped :mrgreen:
The trap isn't a hassle, and it's a great way to collect large amounts of termites.

MCWren

Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:37 am

Durant wrote:It takes weeks bro
Not necessarily, and once it works, you're good for a long time.

Sefrexus

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:27 pm

Hey i see the topic it’s interesting can u provide a video of the termite trap