A strange idea. Mealworm eggs?

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

MCWren

A strange idea. Mealworm eggs?

Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:16 pm

I had a thought. Maybe darkling beetle (Tenebrio molitor, aka mealworm) eggs would be a good protein source for queens in test tubes. They are small and probably easy for a queen to handle. I have darkling beetles, so I could theoretically try this, but I haven't been able to find any eggs, despite having beetles for over a month. If you can find any eggs, you mighty want to try this. This goes for the eggs of other feeder insects too, I suppose. Any tips on finding the eggs would be helpful, thank you.

Hopefully the queen doesn't adopt the egg and raise a mealworm in the test tube. :D (That's a joke btw, no need to tell me how that's impossible.)

MCWren

Re: A strange idea. Mealworm eggs?

Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:46 pm

Update:

Ok, I was able to find an egg. What I did was lift up the egg carton and grab a pinch of the wheat bran (mealworm bedding), and put it in my hand, I sifted through until I found what appears to be an egg. Then, I put the egg in a test tube with my Camponotus chromaiodes queen. This was only a few minutes ago, and so far she hasn't eaten the egg yet. She appeared to be looking around for it with her antennae, but I don't think she found it because she didn't pick it up to move it or eat it. I'm not even sure if she knows it isn't her egg, because it's the same shape and color as her eggs, and only slightly bigger (1.5 mm long and .8 millimeters wide.)
Now my joke about a mealworm hatching in the test tube doesn't seem so far fetched. If this did happen, do you think she would eat the baby mealworm, or be unable to tell that it isn't hers because of its exposure to her scent?

MCWren

Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:55 pm

I decided to remove the egg, I couldn't bear the thought of a mealworm eating my queen's larvae.

AntsRule

Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:04 pm

I will be using termites for young colony's since they are small, soft, and defenseless. :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

KvnRepublic

Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:23 pm

AntsRule wrote:I will be using termites for young colony's since they are small, soft, and defenseless. :D
How would someone go about catching some termites as I have a lasius colony of about 15 workers and I need something small to feed them.

AntsRule

Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:43 pm

KvnRepublic wrote:
AntsRule wrote:I will be using termites for young colony's since they are small, soft, and defenseless. :D
How would someone go about catching some termites as I have a lasius colony of about 15 workers and I need something small to feed them.
You can catch a termite queen but they take like 2 years too lay. I read somewhere that you can collect whole colony's since they make secondary reproductives that also lay eggs. Do some reasearch :D

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

KvnRepublic

Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:48 pm

AntsRule wrote:
KvnRepublic wrote:
You can catch a termite queen but they take like 2 years too lay. I read somewhere that you can collect whole colony's since they make secondary reproductives that also lay eggs. Do some reasearch :D
Thanks, I just read something about making a termite trap and I think I will set one this weekend.

AntsRule

Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:00 pm

You bet ya, are you starting with a queen? Be careful with pesticides if you collect a whole colony make sure they are not near any possible pesticides. :D

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

KvnRepublic

Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:27 pm

I will most likely just catch a bunch of workers but if I get a secondary reproductive then that would be even better :D

AntsRule

Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:30 pm

cool

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.