Moths as ant food

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

KvnRepublic

Moths as ant food

Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:33 pm

Hi, I was just wondering if moths would be a good source of food for ants. I noticed that last night when I was setting up a black light trap to look for Tetramorium queens I saw many moths (no queens though :cry: ) and that got me thinking, could I potentially catch these moths for ant food. I am new to ant keeping so I am still trying to find a stable food source (have only tried meal worms so far). If moths wouldn't work then would you guys be able to suggest any readily available food source or one that I could breed.

larynx

Re: Moths as ant food

Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:00 pm

KvnRepublic wrote:Hi, I was just wondering if moths would be a good source of food for ants. I noticed that last night when I was setting up a black light trap to look for Tetramorium queens I saw many moths (no queens though :cry: ) and that got me thinking, could I potentially catch these moths for ant food. I am new to ant keeping so I am still trying to find a stable food source (have only tried meal worms so far). If moths wouldn't work then would you guys be able to suggest any readily available food source or one that I could breed.
you can breed crickets, mealworms, roaches....... its really up to you. i wouldnt feed insects from the wild though. you never know exactly where they have been or what they may be carrying.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer