A bunch of stuff about FOOD!

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Batspiderfish

Re: A bunch of stuff about FOOD!

Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:17 am

Wingless Melanogaster are an excellent food for ants and breed very rapidly. As long as you set up a new culture every couple of weeks, you will have hundreds of flies. When I am starting a new culture, I like to freeze however many adults I don't need; this ensures a nearly constant supply of food. I ***** their diets with Tenebrio and the occasional Plodia moth.

I've started a Dubia roach colony, but they are so darn cute that I'm not sure how often I'll be using them as a food source. :lol:

I'm going to try out teff grain, and see if any of my ants like that. I only have Tetramorium as a myrmicine, but I've seen Formica carry around seeds before.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Batspiderfish

Re: A bunch of stuff about FOOD!

Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:37 am

Tetramorium has brought every Eragrostis tef seed they could find into their nest. Looks like a win for myrmicines! I wouldn't have thrown so many seeds into their foraging arena if I thought they were going to be that obsessive about it. :D

The seeds are tiny enough for even a Tetramorium nanitic to carry around.

My very young Formica colony used the seeds as a building material. I guess I'd better give them something proper like coconut fiber.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.