Termites for food?

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

AntsRule

Termites for food?

Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:01 pm

I have seen how easy termite colones are to keep and I was just wondering if ant colones could eat them? They are small, soft, and defenseless so they would be great for beginner colones. Anyone know if they would be a good food source? :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

Solenopsisace

Re: Termites for food?

Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:37 pm

They r perfect ant food.the obly thing is that termites take a year or 2 just to lay and hatch eggs.its just better to get your ants food from a store.or if u keep solenopsis like me (they need food all the time)just give them what ever flies to the porch light 8-)

AntsRule

Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:32 pm

Solenopsisace wrote:They r perfect ant food.the obly thing is that termites take a year or 2 just to lay and hatch eggs.its just better to get your ants food from a store.or if u keep solenopsis like me (they need food all the time)just give them what ever flies to the porch light 8-)
I saw somewhere that you can collect whole colones from the wild by taking the rotting log that they are nesting in and putting it in a tub. Termites produce ***** reproductives which are termites that are not queens that also lay, so even if I do not get the queen they will still lay. :D

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

Solenopsisace

Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:35 pm

Right on.u got the perfect food source then.i do that but i live in the city.not much rotten logs to scavenge :(

ooper01
Head Moderator

Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:56 pm

Solenopsisace wrote:They r perfect ant food.the obly thing is that termites take a year or 2 just to lay and hatch eggs.its just better to get your ants food from a store.or if u keep solenopsis like me (they need food all the time)just give them what ever flies to the porch light 8-)
Solenopsis may be hardy ants, eating whatever flies to the porch light, but other species may be at risk if feeding them insects that you catch around the house. I was feeding my Pogonomyrmex colony house flies and noticed that the death rate in the colony rose dramatically. After stopping that practice, the death rate went to almost zero. The problem is that some insect may be carrying pesticides with them that then get fed to the ants.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

AntsRule

Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:01 pm

ooper01 wrote:
Solenopsis may be hardy ants, eating whatever flies to the porch light, but other species may be at risk if feeding them insects that you catch around the house. I was feeding my Pogonomyrmex colony house flies and noticed that the death rate in the colony rose dramatically. After stopping that practice, the death rate went to almost zero. The problem is that some insect may be carrying pesticides with them that then get fed to the ants.
Would this apply to termites too? I do not use pesticides. :D

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

Solenopsisace

Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:33 pm

ooper01 wrote:
Yeah I definitely would not give them house flies. Those things travel from garbage can to garbage can, picking up all kinds of stuff( pesticides, mites ,germs,etc....). That's why I just give my ant's whatever comes to the porch light. Which is mainly just moths and subterranean termites when they start to fly. Not many people put out pesticides for those insects so they hardly come in contact with it. Plus I'm also just easier to catch :D

Solenopsisace

Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:33 pm

Moths* r easier to catch

ooper01
Head Moderator

Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:08 am

AntsRule wrote:Would this apply to termites too? I do not use pesticides. :D
I haven't heard of termites being a problem as a feeder insect.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

AntsRule

Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:06 am

ooper01 wrote:
AntsRule wrote:Would this apply to termites too? I do not use pesticides. :D
I haven't heard of termites being a problem as a feeder insect.
Great thanks! :D

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.