Queen ant food

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

perryismyname

Queen ant food

Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:34 am

I just caught a Camponotus queen but I don't know if it was on a nuptial flight or not I have no clue if I should feed it or not. What should I do, I caught it walking along a dock and it was running around. It sheded its wings and now it's in a test tube but I need to know if I should give it honey and lunch meat.
Thanks -Perry

AntsRule

Re: Queen ant food

Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:09 am

[quote="perryismyname"]I just caught a Camponotus queen but I don't know if it was on a nuptial flight or not I have no clue if I should feed it or not. What should I do, I caught it walking along a dock and it was running around. It sheded its wings and now it's in a test tube but I need to know if I should give it honey and lunch meat.[/quoteuntil workers arrive.
You should not feed her. Some people like to feed queens but they risk scaring her. She will use the energy stored in her wing muscles until workers arrive. Keep her in the test tube set up and do not disturb her too much. Only peek every 3-4 weeks. Just make sure you can monitor the water portion. This can be done by wrapping a piece of paper around her cell leaving the water end open. Vibration will scare her too. Hope that helps! :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.