Pogonomyrmex Diet

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Allaric

Pogonomyrmex Diet

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:58 pm

I am practicing keeping some Pogonomyrmex prior to this year's nuptial flights, but I seem to be having trouble getting the ants to eat. I have tried a wide variety of things to see what they prefer, but mostly they ignore the food, or bury it and then ignore it.

I have tried honey (filtered and non), syrup, sugar water, seeds (variety finch bag) grapes, meats, sweet chocolate, unbleached ground flour paste.

I have had the ants about five weeks and still have about half of them. I obviously don't know how old they were when I got them, so I don't know if they died naturally or if I starved them (worried). They drink constantly, but rarely touch the food. They moved the meats, licked the grapes and buried the honey and syrup, but that is the extent of the response. I don't really see them eating, but I have left the sugar water in at all times just in case. They drink it, but I don't know if it is for the water or the sugar.

How can I tell if an ant is getting enough water? The cotton in the tube seems moist, but i cant tell how much they get. Are there specific seed-types that Pogonomyrmex badius prefer? I was thinking I might be able to find some uncoated grass seed, but I don't know what types they will eat. I would prefer to avoid feeding them live food or other insects (one reason for choosing this species).

Any help would be appreciated.

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Pogonomyrmex Diet

Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:54 am

Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.