Is this a good outworld setup?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Zendikar

Is this a good outworld setup?

Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:49 pm

My first attempt at an outworld build~ (Im thinking 2 water test tubes one back middle and one bottom left with feeding trays bottom right corner) Im planning on adding two inches of insecta slip around the top in addition to the lid.

Will this be enough space to start up or will I need more? Any tips?

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: Is this a good outworld setup?

Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:05 pm

Looks great! Biggest thing is as long as the ants don't decide to start digging and moving there nest into the outworld then you should be fine.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Zendikar

Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:10 pm

It only has a fine layer of sand (you can see how thick on the side view, look at the bottom right so see a mound of sand to see where the concrete ends and sand begins). How much sand can I put in before they try to start making their nest in it? Will about a 1/4 inch be fine or should I use less?

Zendikar

Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:11 pm

Or should it be about ok as is?

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:15 pm

Zendikar wrote:Or should it be about ok as is?
I'd venture to guess up to about 1/2" should be fine. The big thing is many people try to build a very realistic out world with real plants and such, problem is that with all that if you were the ant where would you choose to live? I'd pick the real soil and love to build my nest in the soil away from prying eyes and predators. Well the ants end up doing the same thing. Only being 1/2" or less they would hit the bottom and realize that it would make for a good nest.

I made mine by setting stone to make up the space underneath and then mixing plaster of paris and filling in the voids and then also embeding tubing and then sprinkled sand on the surface while it was wet so it would dry with a textured surface. I then (after it was dried) added some more sand for them to move around (BTW they love to pick up the sand and place it around the crickets and meal worms I give them). You can see my out world here ----> http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=554

Mikey also did a video on how to make a simple and easy out world! The video is below.

MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:

Zendikar

Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:52 am

Ooh neat. Okay Ill keep that in mind. Might need to do some remodeling before this is ready. Thanks ^-^

Side note, what size of connecting tubing is ok to use? Whats the smallest inner dimension youd recommend?

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:05 pm

Zendikar wrote:Ooh neat. Okay Ill keep that in mind. Might need to do some remodeling before this is ready. Thanks ^-^

Side note, what size of connecting tubing is ok to use? Whats the smallest inner dimension youd recommend?
The most common size poly tubing is 3/8". Also if you want to connect two pieces of 3/8" tubing together you can use a piece of 1/2" poly tubing, the 3/8" slips inside of the 1/2" snugly.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin