Best formicarium for solenopsis molesta

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Seiyaryu

Best formicarium for solenopsis molesta

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:56 pm

About 9 months ago I found a mated solenopsis molesta(or so I think) and without knowing any better I put her in one of those gel ant farms. She has somewhere between 6-10 in her brood right now but about 2 weeks ago I noticed some brown spots forming that I think is mold. I want to get her and the brood out.

So my plan is to put the farm in the fridge to make them hybernate and drill a hole in the side, then get them in a test tube and put them in a homemade formicarium.

My questions are, is this my best option to get them out? And if so, what's the best type of homemade formicarium to place them in after their out?

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Best formicarium for solenopsis molesta

Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:14 am

Seiyaryu wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:56 pm
About 9 months ago I found a mated solenopsis molesta(or so I think) and without knowing any better I put her in one of those gel ant farms. She has somewhere between 6-10 in her brood right now but about 2 weeks ago I noticed some brown spots forming that I think is mold. I want to get her and the brood out.

So my plan is to put the farm in the fridge to make them hybernate and drill a hole in the side, then get them in a test tube and put them in a homemade formicarium.

My questions are, is this my best option to get them out? And if so, what's the best type of homemade formicarium to place them in after their out?
Gel is bad. Workers die of malnutrition within weeks. The starting queen will be ok, as she has her own stored fat. Fire ants don’t hibernate(molesta might), and us using a q tip, remove the gel above her and let her run out, catch her, and then use tweezers to pick up the brood. And put them in a test tube with her. All ways will stress her, so I would prepare some pupae from wild colonies.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…