Trash in the testube

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

antsabroad

Trash in the testube

Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:59 am

Here is a link to a picture of the test tube. This is Messor barbarus and they have seed skins, etc. Just chilling in the front of the test tube.
https://imgur.com/YyBz9fz
Is it bad, good, or neither? Please help, as I'm leaving on a trip in a week and for 6 weeks. My friend is watching them and she isn't an antkeeper.
Keeper of:
Messor barbarus
Camponotus cruentatus
Camponotus ligniperdus
Tetramorium impurum
Myrmica rubra
Founding:
Tapinoma nigerrium
Anochetus ghillani

Masterchief

Re: Trash in the testube

Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:33 pm

Wow that is a very blurry pic! Try and set the phone on a surface near the test tube and take a really steady pic! Also you can put your cam in sports mode to have a faster shutter speed. I'm no "experianced" ant keeper but I know from AC that their "trash" needs to be cleaned before it molds or goes bad. Can you remove with small tweezers? When my colonies first workers came there were about 20 and for their first meal I placed them in a small Outworld. They arr absolutely Loving it so far! Here are the pics!
http://imgur.com/gallery/mLXwqt9
Keeper of
1 Liometopum Occidentale (Velvet Tree Ant)
1 Tetramorium (Pavement Ant)

Batspiderfish

Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:51 pm

When it's that far away from the damp parts of the test tube, it tends not to be a problem. I would intervene if you notice mold beginning to grow, else leave them along.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

antsabroad

Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:08 am

Thanks for all your help! Test tube has been cleaned, and sorry for the pic, as my camera is very bad.
Keeper of:
Messor barbarus
Camponotus cruentatus
Camponotus ligniperdus
Tetramorium impurum
Myrmica rubra
Founding:
Tapinoma nigerrium
Anochetus ghillani