Will my idea work?????

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

AntNoobster

Will my idea work?????

Thu May 24, 2018 4:46 am

will this work to hydrate the colony and keep it moist at the same time. if u wanna use it you can
"Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest." Proverbs 6:6-8

Founding:
8x Iridomyrmex sp.
1x Pheidole sp.

antnest8

Re: Will my idea work?????

Thu May 24, 2018 2:47 pm

it looks good just make sure you do not flood it and also where is the entrance.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Batspiderfish

Thu May 24, 2018 3:38 pm

What material is it?
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntNoobster

Fri May 25, 2018 5:04 am

antnest8 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 2:47 pm
it looks good just make sure you do not flood it and also where is the entrance.
the entrance is on the bottom it has a hole on the front part that goes up to the first chamber
"Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest." Proverbs 6:6-8

Founding:
8x Iridomyrmex sp.
1x Pheidole sp.

AntNoobster

Fri May 25, 2018 5:05 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
What material is it?
plaster of paris. It has had a problem with mould before i painted it

Founding:
8x Iridomyrmex sp.
1x Pheidole sp.

Batspiderfish

Fri May 25, 2018 7:41 am

AntNoobster wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:
What material is it?
I don't think there's anything wrong with plaster, although hydration can be an issue since it is absorbed so well by the material. Sometimes I feel that it's more about limiting the rate that water is soaked in. If you hydrate it regularly yourself without use of a reservoir, it will probably be fine, but that's a lot of energy and dedication on your end. The one thing about plaster to look out for is that the material will erode/dissolve over time, particularly along the path of hydration. Your walls are nice and thick, so I don't think this will be an issue for quite a while (although beware of putting plaster nest reservoirs at the same vertical level as the living space, as this can lead to flooding.) Do you know if the paint/pigment is safe for the ants?

I actually quite like plaster, but prefer to use it specifically for hydration channels designed in such a way that the ants can't chew or crawl through any cavities, either by keeping that space submerged or blocking the way with stainless steel mesh.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntNoobster

Fri May 25, 2018 8:46 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 7:41 am
AntNoobster wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:
What material is it?
I don't think there's anything wrong with plaster, although hydration can be an issue since it is absorbed so well by the material. Sometimes I feel that it's more about limiting the rate that water is soaked in. If you hydrate it regularly yourself without use of a reservoir, it will probably be fine, but that's a lot of energy and dedication on your end. The one thing about plaster to look out for is that the material will erode/dissolve over time, particularly along the path of hydration. Your walls are nice and thick, so I don't think this will be an issue for quite a while (although beware of putting plaster nest reservoirs at the same vertical level as the living space, as this can lead to flooding.) Do you know if the paint/pigment is safe for the ants?

I actually quite like plaster, but prefer to use it specifically for hydration channels designed in such a way that the ants can't chew or crawl through any cavities, either by keeping that space submerged or blocking the way with stainless steel mesh.
the paint is watercolor paint is taht ok???

Founding:
8x Iridomyrmex sp.
1x Pheidole sp.