Is my test tube big enough?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

caters

Is my test tube big enough?

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:57 pm

I have heard that you need 20-50 workers and a large enough brood before moving into a larger formicarium from a test tube setup. I think I saw a queen ant on my back porch but I didn't have something to catch her in and maybe it was a major worker that I saw and not a queen.

The only test tube I've got that doesn't have anything in it is I think 3.5 inches long and at most half an inch in diameter(probably closer to a quarter inch in diameter. Is that a big enough test tube for up to 20-50 workers, a large brood and a queen? I think I've got either carpenter ant queens(which I know take up to a year to form a colony big enough to move into a larger formicarium) or Lasius neoniger queens on my back porch. In either case, I know they are a black ant species of some sort.

But yeah, is that a big enough test tube? Because that is the only test tube I have with nothing in it. If not, can I use a water bottle as like a bigger version of a test tube setup? It is a half liter bottle with these dimensions:

7/8" diameter opening
8" length
8.25" circumference at maximum

antnest8

Re: Is my test tube big enough?

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:05 pm

the test tube is big enough
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting