Escaping Ants Help Needed!

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Xephke

Escaping Ants Help Needed!

Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:58 pm

Ok, I currently have an AntsCanada Formica Hybrid Nest 2.0 with a Pheidole sp. living in it for a few months now. I have had a few minor escape attempts before since I am still learning, but was able to stop them before they got worse. After noticing some ants around the hybrid nest a week or two ago I noticed a small escape attempt and stopped it before more than a few could get out, today I noticed there were still ants around the hybrid nest so I investigated, and could not see any way they are getting out. So I lifted up the top section of the hybrid nest to reveal where you would put cotton and fill with water for humidity, and it was full of ants. so I sprung into action to fix it. After collecting a large majority of the escaped ants I looked for the way out and noticed that over time they had chewed a few of the small holes used for humidity and the minors could use them like honeycomb type tunnels. I brushed the ants off and put tape over the holes for a temporary fix until I can find a better solution. If anyone could help figure out a solution to this problem please let me know, I am stumped on how to fix this.

antnest8

Re: Escaping Ants Help Needed!

Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:10 pm

maybe a mesh could help :?
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum