Omni-Nest Vertical for Camponotus Floridanus and Odontomachus Bruennus

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

AntsDakota

Re: Omni-Nest Vertical for Camponotus Floridanus and Odontomachus Bruennus

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:44 am

Vuldriel wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:43 pm
I'm getting ready to obtain a colony of Camponotus Floridanus, and I have a current colony of Odontomachus Bruennus with 4 workers so far. I'll be keeping them both in test tube setups until a good 20-40 workers, but I was thinking about what I should house them in when they get bigger. I know the Trap-Jaws only get to 200 workers at max so a small omni-nest horizontal or even a naturalistic setup should work fine for them, but how big to Camponotus Floridanus colonies get? I was considering the Omni-Nest Vertical size large for them but I don't know how many thousands I can get, nor have I ever had a colony that big (although I want one). Advice is greatly appreciated!
The average Camponotus colony will get to about 10,000 workers or so. Some get to 100,000 workers, while others get to only a few hundred.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Re: Omni-Nest Vertical for Camponotus Floridanus and Odontomachus Bruennus

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:49 am

An AC Formica Hybrid Nest 2.0 should hold your trap jaws, and a AC omni nest xtra large should hold your Camponotus colony. The AC omni nest xtra large can hold hundreds of thousands of normal sized ants, yet Camponotus are much larger than your normal sized ant.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25