Where to find AAC in US

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

LilCthulhu

Where to find AAC in US

Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:48 am

I'm looking to build a new nest using AAC. I saw this material being used in a lot of nests but I can't find it at all. I go to all my local home improvement stores near me and I get a puzzled look. I call my local concrete suppliers and they won't even talk to me because I'm not a business or contractor. I live in Michigan and could really use some help or advice.

YSTheAnt

Re: Where to find AAC in US

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:57 pm

Do yourself a favor and use firebrick. It is softer then aac by a tiny bit and is found in places where people do clay work, kiln stores and such. If you are keeping a species such as Veromessor, messor, tetramorium, or pogonomyrmex, coat the inside with a grout-sand mixture to prevent them from chewing through it (ytong needs this as well). Anything formicarium that can be done with ytong can be done with firebrick as well, at least from what I have seen
Check out my blog: bayareaants.blogspot.com
Keeper of:
Camponotus Modoc(6 workers)
Pheidole Spp (2 queens, about 10 workers)
Possibly parasitic Formica (further ID required)
Novomessor Cockerelli (10+ workers)

LilCthulhu

Re: Where to find AAC in US

Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:02 am

Thank you. I will look into it