Outworld substrate/ground ideas

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Idahoantguy

Outworld substrate/ground ideas

Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:16 pm

Hello everyone,
After the whole debacle with a colony moving into a natural dirt setup in an outworld, I need new ideas for what to use. I have just the empty outworld since my ants are hibernating right now and was thinking that it would be a great time to fill it with something. I’m thinking like acrylic, but that could be a bad idea. Does anyone have any ideas, or things that you have used in outworlds?
Thanks,
Idahoantguy
P.S. I just found grout as an idea in the internet, anyone had any experiences with that.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

Anything but tetramorium please :cry:

idahoantgirl

Re: Outworld substrate/ground ideas

Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:12 pm

Idahoantguy wrote:
Hello everyone,
After the whole debacle with a colony moving into a natural dirt setup in an outworld, I need new ideas for what to use. I have just the empty outworld since my ants are hibernating right now and was thinking that it would be a great time to fill it with something. I’m thinking like acrylic, but that could be a bad idea. Does anyone have any ideas, or things that you have used in outworlds?
Thanks,
Idahoantguy
P.S. I just found grout as an idea in the internet, anyone had any experiences with that.
I think I have told you my experience with grout in outworlds before. Cracks easy and will probably fall out of the outworld (mine did.) :( Cement would work better. :)
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Idahoantguy

Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:10 am

idahoantgirl wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:12 pm
Idahoantguy wrote:
Hello everyone,
Thanks,
Idahoantguy
I think I have told you my experience with grout in outworlds before. Cracks easy and will probably fall out of the outworld (mine did.) :( Cement would work better. :)
Oh right right, ok I’ll try it
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

idahoantgirl

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:51 pm

Ooh! Ok so I just saw ants canadas new video with the golden play button. What about using aquarium background as an outworld floor? Like the stuff that Miley used in his Golden play button nest. I think it would work and look awesome! You can probably drill or carve holes in it to glue fake plants, you could also glue rocks on it. I totally want to try it!
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Idahoantguy

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:44 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:51 pm
Ooh! Ok so I just saw ants canadas new video with the golden play button. What about using aquarium background as an outworld floor? Like the stuff that Miley used in his Golden play button nest. I think it would work and look awesome! You can probably drill or carve holes in it to glue fake plants, you could also glue rocks on it. I totally want to try it!
Good idea!
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2