Natural formicarium media?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

LaLeeRhys

Natural formicarium media?

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:22 am

I have what i think is a solanopsis invicta colony, and i want to give them a natural dirt nest, but i don't know what i should do for soil. I don't want to use soil from outside, but I've heard potting soil was bad. Help please? She has thirty workers in a test tube set up and its getting difficult to feed them. (They are amazing, but they scare the crap out of me. I don't wanna get bit anymore!)

Batspiderfish

Re: Natural formicarium media?

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:30 am

I like using coconut fiber, since the organic acids help to maintain a relatively sanitary nest environment. You can find it cheaply at pet stores, used as substrate for crabs and amphibians.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsOnTheCoast

Re: Natural formicarium media?

Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:21 pm

Hm, what's bad about potting mix? I'd honestly like to know.