Moving Ants from Jar to Omninest

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

LikableAnts

Moving Ants from Jar to Omninest

Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:10 pm

So I just got my ants from my GAN farmer and the ants are currently housed in a jar with dirt. Anyone have an idea in order to get them into an Omninest? It's monomorium minimum btw.

idahoantgirl

Re: Moving Ants from Jar to Omninest

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:11 pm

LikableAnts wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:10 pm
So I just got my ants from my GAN farmer and the ants are currently housed in a jar with dirt. Anyone have an idea in order to get them into an Omninest? It's monomorium minimum btw.
Hmmmmm.....you could stop hydrating the soil, lean the jar on it's side in a basin of some sort, and have a nice appealing dark test tube available nearby. ( ram a drinking straw between the side of the tube to make a nice entrance) Then you can attach the tube to then omni nest. They might take a while to move out. I am assuming this is a small colony. I suppose you could also place the jar in the actual outworld of the omni nest and wait for them to move out, but know that they will drag dirt from the jar into your nest.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile