Double tube setup

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Idahoantguy

Double tube setup

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:39 am

Hello everyone,
I have a couple of founding colonies in test tubes that I wanted to switch into new tubes before hibernation. I tried starting one moving with a test tube portal, but they didn't move so now I have just two tubes taped together. I think they may already be hibernating, or starting to hibernate. Could I just leave them in that double tube setup for the winter? If so I might do this for some other colonies. As a side note: should I feed the colonies one last time before hibernating them?
Thanks!
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

Anything but tetramorium please :cry:

MaxGen

Re: Double tube setup

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:58 am

Just be sure you haven't put the tape all the way around the tubes so that some air can get in the gap. I don't see anything wrong with keeping the tubes together.

I'd love to hear form more experienced keepers about feeding before diapause. With some reptiles, it's better to stop feeding before diapause so that there isn't any food in the system that could potentially spoil while they are down. Not sure if that would be the same for insects?

Idahoantguy

Re: Double tube setup

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:07 pm

MaxGen wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:58 am
Just be sure you haven't put the tape all the way around the tubes so that some air can get in the gap. I don't see anything wrong with keeping the tubes together.

I'd love to hear form more experienced keepers about feeding before diapause. With some reptiles, it's better to stop feeding before diapause so that there isn't any food in the system that could potentially spoil while they are down. Not sure if that would be the same for insects?
Ok, that makes sense. Yea, I wonder if someone has done some reasearch on that... thanks for the input!
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

Anything but tetramorium please :cry: