Best mold free nest materials?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

GardenGirl

Best mold free nest materials?

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:28 pm

What is the best mold free nest material? Is there a 100% mold free option?

I was thinking of purchasing lots of test tubes(can get 72 acrylic for $20-$30; glass is also available in bulk for a little more), and using that as chambers, and setting them in a lidded tupperware like container with a hole cut in it for access. Then, I can also have satellite nests if I am able to capture a Camponotus, for a cheaper price, and instead of tossing a dirty/moldy formicarium each time, I can just wash the tubes.

I am totally new to this, so I apologize if this is a stupid idea.

Hikari

Re: Best mold free nest materials?

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:01 pm

I've not found a 100% mold-free option, but then I have some rather messy ants. Test tubes are nice, since you can just switch them out when they get moldy or empty. A good way to utilize this is doing a "tubes and tubs" method. There's a good video on AntsAustralia explaining ways to do those set-ups.

Also, not sure where you're buying tubes from, but the prices you listed were WAY more than you need pay. If you aren't going for anything fancy, buy your tubes from here: http://www.lcmlab.com/Test_Tubes_s/129.htm

You can buy them in bulk for much cheaper than pretty much anywhere else, shipping is reasonable, and even their standard shipping is rather quick. They also have great customer service in the event of a broken shipment (as I can attest from personal experience).

Hope that helps. Just passing along useful info that people showed me when I started out earlier this year. :D

GardenGirl

Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:58 pm

Thank you SO MUCH!!!! Awesome info! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hikari

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:44 pm

Happy to help!