Is epoxy safe?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Kristian

Is epoxy safe?

Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:23 am

Hello,
After many trails and errors I was finally able to make a somewhat decent model of formicarium in plaster.

The obvious problem with plaster is that it's extremely fragile, therefor I let the model soak into epoxy a bit so it becomes rock hard. Now a week has passed, but I can still feel a very light sent of epoxy when I putting my nose directly on it.

I was planning to make a mold of the model and cast it in epoxy. Is it safe to keep ants in epoxy? Maybe someone can recommend me a ant-safe coating I could apply? Thanks!

Austheboss

Re: Is epoxy safe?

Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:21 pm

I have had no experience with epoxy, but I do know that some formicaria do use epoxy to harden materials like you said. AntsAustralia has a shop where he uses epoxy to harden the Y-Tong he uses to build his nests. So judging from that I would say it's probably ok, but you should probably wait to see other thoughts.
.---- ..--- ..--- .....-----