weird idea? Need opinions for camponotus

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

LaLeeRhys

weird idea? Need opinions for camponotus

Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:53 am

So i have a camponotus pennsylvanicus queen with ten workers, three about to eclose, and a pile of brood in a test tube in a small outworld with a cover over the tube (they are thriving :D ). I know not to put them in a formicarium too soon but i had an idea to let the ants decide/build their own formicarium. I know camponotus can chew through cork, so what if i sealed some cork in a way they can't chew out (glass or acrylic panels) , but other than that just leave it and attach it to the outworld? My thought process is that they will chew their own chambers as they need them and won't have the issue of being stressed from moving into a nest too soon because they built it themselves and decided themselves when to move. Thoughts?

af4545

Re: weird idea? Need opinions for camponotus

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:06 am

I myself have no experience whatsoever with camponotus ants but i think that sounds like a very good and interesting idea. But i could be completely wrong so i would wait for an experts opinion.
Keeper of: Lasius Niger
Lasius Flavus
Myrmica Rubra

Delphie

Re: weird idea? Need opinions for camponotus

Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:32 pm

It might be easier to hibernate them in their present set up.

Phoenix

Re: Inquiry

Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:20 am

I Thought Cork Would Go Bad Under A Year?
'Have Fun.' - Gabe Newell